E-certification system for sick leave Abu Dhabi Health Department UAE
The e-certification system for medical leave work to achieve the goals of the Health Authority in Abu Dhabi in controlling and simplifying procedures for the ratification medical leave, improving the transparency of dealing with customers and complying with quality standards and in order to achieve excellence in the application of the e- services, the Health Authority in Abu Dhabi decided to the need to adhere to apply e-certification system for all short and long term medical leave , based on the dissemination issued on 9 January 2012 by the Office of the Director General of the Health Authority in Abu Dhabi. WhatsApp: +971555570005
E-certification system for sick leave Abu Dhabi Health Department UAE
The e-certification system for medical leave work to achieve the goals of the Health Authority in Abu Dhabi in controlling and simplifying procedures for the ratification medical leave, improving the transparency of dealing with customers and complying with quality standards and in order to achieve excellence in the application of the e- services, the Health Authority in Abu Dhabi decided to the need to adhere to apply e-certification system for all short and long term medical leave , based on the dissemination issued on 9 January 2012 by the Office of the Director General of the Health Authority in Abu Dhabi.
And from the most important features of the new system are the following:
• The signature and stamp of the doctor is mandatory for e-sick leave certificates, according to the law of the Abu Dhabi Health Authority and according to the Medical Liability Law.
• The general practitioner who works in his field of specialization and the scope of practice has the right to grant medical leave for more than one week in some cases of infectious and communicable diseases such as chickenpox and hepatitis.
• Health care providers can codify more than one diagnosis instead of a single diagnosis. In addition to the primary diagnosis, they can codify all other diseases that afflict the patient in the observation area.
The medical leave printed with an indication of diagnosis, except for a few diseases that should not be mentioned in respect of the patient’s information privacy. In some cases, this exception does not occur, such as the illness being diagnosed affects the worker’s performance or medical reports prepared at the request of the employer Such as evaluating the propriety for work, or formal requests by government agencies. However, the Human Resources Department has the right to know the diagnosis in order to ensure the safety of the employee and the proper functioning of the work.
It is prohibited to send medical leave ratified by the Medical Committee to the employer, as the employee receives sick leave signed and sealed by the treating physician, and the employee concerned must deliver the e-medical leave ratified to the Human Resources Section directly and without delay.
The period of admission of the patient to the hospital shall be computed as sick leave, and any sick leave granted to the patient after leaving the hospital shall be added.
• Health care providers are unable to access sick leave issued by other medical institutions through the electronic certification program,
In order to ensure the confidentiality and safety of patient information.
The doctor may issue non-electronic medical leave certificates only if there is a malfunction in the electronic certificate of medical leave system, but he must register the time and the date of the malfunction in the certificate of non-electronic medical leave, in addition to the signature of the medical leave by the doctor concerned and the medical director of the health facility, the medical leave certificate shall be stamped by the doctor and the medical establishment. The doctor concerned shall attach a copy of the e-system malfunction of the sick leave system with the non-electronic leave.
• Doctors are not allowed to grant patients sick leave retroactively, according to the laws and regulations adopted by the Medical Committee of Abu Dhabi Health Authority.
• The doctor can give the patient sick leave from the day following the consultation in case of the doctor’s appointment was after the official working hours.
The gynecologist is entitled to grant the pregnant woman a period of sick leave in the event of any disease or symptoms that may lead to deterioration of her health condition or health of the fetus, but the doctor must mention the justification for granting the period of sick leave or the attachment of supporting documents such as the results of her tests or The sick leave will be refused or the period of the sick leave will be reduced.
• Electronic certification of sick leave for school students is compulsory.
• The doctor who works in different health facilities or if he is assigned to a hospital for a limited period must obtain a specific user name for each facility. The user name of each facility will ensure proper checking of the system of sick leave.
The system of electronic certification of sick leave is subject to constant supervision and random supervision to control any violation by the users and in case of any violation or misuse by the doctor the following corrective actions will be taken:
1. An email will be sent by the chief of the section to the doctor concerned to inform him of the nature of the reported violation and to request the full compliance with the applicable provisions of the Abu Dhabi Health Authority.
2. If the doctor continues to violate the electronic certification system for medical leave consistently, the doctor will be calling to a formal meeting and the statements of the doctor will be recorded in a meeting minutes.
3. The minutes of the meeting will be signed by the doctor concerned.
In the case of irregularities on a permanent basis with non-compliance with the provisions of the Health Authority – Abu Dhabi, a letter will be sent to the Medical Review and Audit Section with the minutes of the meeting and a copy of sick leaves issued by the doctor concerned to take the necessary disciplinary action.
• As to The procedures followed by the Health Authority Abu Dhabi in case of fraud on sick leave are:
1- If the inquiry which about the validity of the medical leave certificate was submitted by the employer, the Human Resources Department must send an official letter to the Medical Committees Department Abu Dhabi Health Authority to request the necessary audit on the sick leave and determine its validity.
2- The team of the medical committee’s department will communicate with the doctor who issued the electronic medical certificate.
3-the Medical Committees Section will review the sick leave records of the concerned employee through the e- certification system of the medical leave.
4- The medical committee will send an official letter of the final results to the employer for making the appropriate decision.
5. Transferring the falsified sick-leave certificates that have been discovered by the Medical Committees Department to the Legal Affairs Department (Health Authority) to take appropriate legal action.
• The following procedures to ratify the long-term sick leave are as follows:
1. The electronic certification system presents the minimum period of sick leave.
2. The doctor must determine the appropriate sick leave period based on the relevant condition and supporting clinical evidence.
3.upon the completion of prepared sick leave is completed and be sent electronically, the doctor receives a letter stating that sick leave is under review.
4. The doctor must print the sick leave notice and give it to the patient. And this notice has been issued to inform the Human Resources Department that sick leave is under review and approval by the Medical Committee of the Health Authority.
5 – sick leave is reviewed by the members of the medical committee composed of advisory physicians in different specialties with experience in taking into consideration that members of the Medical Committee have the right to reduce the period of sick leave granted.
6. Upon completion of the decision of the Committee, the doctor will receive the notification of the status of sick leave (approved or rejected or the need for further clarification).
7-The patient will receive a text message stating that he has been referred to the hospital or specific clinic to get the sick leave certificate.
8 – sick leave will be rejected by the Medical Committee in case of it does not comply with the procedures and standards of the Medical Committees Section.
Accordingly, according to this pioneering organization that characterized the system of electronic certification of sick leave, the Health Authority in Abu Dhabi has achieved its objectives in controlling and simplifying procedures for the ratification of sick leave, and to improve the transparency of the deal between the medical authorities and the patient and the employer.
Mohamed Mahmoud Al Marzooqi law firm
Attorney / Mohamed Al Marzooqi
Mohamed Al Marzooqi advocates & Consultancy
Lawyer in Abu Dhabi, Dubai – UAE